Australia, more than a country, an entire continent, has it’s own special day of celebration and it’s today January 26th. While you can read all about Australia’s history and a ton of useful information, here are 10 crazy facts about Australia that will probably amaze you:
1. Australia has 3.3 times more sheep than people!
2. When the platypus, the native Australian animal was first sent to England, people there thought that the Australians were pulling a joke by sending the sewed bill of a duck onto a rat!
3. More than 1 million feral camels were living in Australia and they were even been exported to Saudi Arabia.
4. Wombat’s -native Australian animal- poop, is cube shaped! This prevents them from rolling away when the animal marks its territory.
5. Did you know that Koalas have human-like fingerprints?
6. The Great Barrier Reef (the largest reef in the world) has its own postbox!
7. Newborn kangaroos are only a couple of cm long!
8. It may look mesmerising but Box Jellyfish kills more people in Australia than crocodiles and sharks together!
9. The Tasmanian Devil, stores its fat in its tail!
10. Male lyrebird -native Australia species- is an excellent sound generator! It can mimic the voices of 20 other birds and even imitate the sounds of an alarm, camera or chainsaw!
This list shows that this country is certainly like no other, so it certainly deserves its own Day of the Year!
Here are more Special Celebration Days!