You might have read that pigs are probably among the top 3 smartest mammals and we should be treating them with much more care and respect. For this reason, in 1972, March 1st was set as the Pig Day, a day to raise awareness of the intellectual prowess of this special animal. Not to mention anything about how cute pigs really are!
Here are 10 amazing pink, oinky facts that will make you think twice next time you fire up your grill!
1. Mother pigs sing to their newborn piglets while nursing them!
2. Pigs are smarter than you think!
They are smarter than dogs and almost as smart as 3 year old human children!
3. Pigs don’t “eat like pigs”!
They savor their food and chew it quite slowly.
4. Pigs don’t “sweat like pigs”!
Actually they are unable to sweat at all, that’s why they take water or mud baths to keep cool. In fact, if given a choice, they prefer water to mud!
5. Pigs are very clean animals!
They keep their toilet spot away from their sleeping area. Even newborns will leave the nest to go to the toilet!
6. They are important for the ecosystem.
By spreading seeds and disturbing the soil, pigs help plants colonize.
7. Pigs prefer to sleep nose to nose and dream just like you do!
8. The population of pigs is over 1 billion worldwide!
9. Pigs enjoy sunbathing, playing soccer and getting a massage!
10. Pig is the last of the 12 animals in the Chinese zodiac.
They represent happiness, honesty, fortune and virility!
(Some images from The Cutest Paw)